~The Illuminated Word Project~
a project to take scripture and express it through photography

This is a blog circle of seven other photographers and I. Our monthly goal is to find a scripture during our personal studies that resonates with us at this moment in time, create or capture an image that we feel fits that scripture, and then to share it.

Make sure to follow the links to the next photographer in the circle, until you have visited all of us. I hope you enjoy and find a little extra spiritual light to help you on your own life's journey.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October-Be the Light

"Let your light so shine before men, 
that they may see your good works, 
and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
Matthew 5:16

I love light houses, and I love this verse of scripture, so they naturally go together for me.  
It is a personal goal in my life to "Be the Light", to use kindness, understanding, patience, love and service to be a help and a light to those around me.  But it really hit me today as I was thinking about this, that it is much easier for me to show that others outside my family; my co-workers, a stranger at the grocery store, friends, the people at church, but where I really need to be showing it is in my home. 

“The most important work you will ever do is within the walls of your own home.”
Harold B. Lee 

I need to remember that even at the end of a long day, the most important people for me to share the light of Christ with are my family members.  It is good for them to see me "Be the Light" for others, but the best and most positive way to love and teach them is to make sure I am remembering to "Be the Light" for them too.

To continue you on in the circle, please visit

2 comments:

  1. what a true open post today from you that speaks volumes to me as well. you are so right in your words.and it is so true...i want to be that light for my own family, just as bright, if not brighter than outside of my home!! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking something similar the other day after listening to the talk from Pres Packer about the atonement, and his experience with the two lights on the hill guiding the boats in on the islands of Samoa. It reminded me how we as parents are to be those two lights, lined up in unison as the guiding beacon for our children. And how much easier it is to turn our light to shine for others sometimes, than for those we have stewardship to guide safely 'home'
    I love this Sarah. And I love what you always add to our monthly project. - aroha.

    ReplyDelete